Friday 16 September 2011

Scattered button brooches

This week I have made three new items for my Etsy shop : www.etsy.com/people/tealadydesigns

Three brooches in different colour themes using buttons scattered over the felt to make an eye catching, unique brooch.


I started off by selecting three different shades of felt for each brooch. Each brooch has a colour theme. There is pinks which uses three different shades of pink felt, blues with a dark pink to spice it up and browns with a rustic feel. I then selected an array of different colour buttons along the same colour themes to be added in a scatter affect on each brooch.



I then cut the felt to shape by hand in three different sizes of the same shape for each brooch so that the felt would be layered when sewn together. I started off by taking the top layer of felt and using an embroidery thread in the colour theme of that brooch, sewing on each button with no particular pattern, just scattering them on to create the desired effect.



Once the buttons were sewn on I attached the brooch back pin to the back of the last layer of felt, through to the second to ensure it was tightly secured. This was attached using black cotton thread. Once this was done I could start to attach the different layers together. I used embroidery threads in colours around each colour theme, using a running stitch to attach each layer of felt to the other.



I really enjoyed making these brooches and I am looking forward to making more in various colour themes and different shapes. I get to use two of my favourite materials, felt and buttons, in one go to create a cute, unique and eye catching brooch.







3 comments:

Helen Smith said...

Very nice - I especially like the way the 3 layers don't quite line up on the pink one - it goes well with the scattered buttons effect.

Quietly Otaku said...

Great work I think my favourite one is the starry one. Its like a starry night!

Isobel Morrell said...

Have just followed you, having found you while searching on the Etsy UK chat team site. Am currently hoping to increase my following for my blog www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com where I write about how I make, mend and otherwise create stuffed toys, which I then try to sell via www.coldhamcuddlies.etsy.com. Would love to have you visit, comment and maybe, even, follow? Hope so. Cheers. Isobel